8/4 White Oak Lumber
8/4 White Oak Lumber
Rough Lumber vs S4S Lumber
Rough lumber and surfaced on 4 sides (S4S) lumber are two forms of wood commonly used in construction and woodworking. Here's an explanation of each and why they are used:
- Rough lumber refers to wood that has been cut directly from a log and typically has not undergone any additional processing beyond sawing.
- It retains its natural, rough texture and may have irregular edges, saw marks, and varying thicknesses.
- Rough lumber can be used in woodworking projects where the rustic appearance is desired or where the wood will be further shaped and refined by the woodworker.
- Because rough lumber is unfinished, it tends to be less expensive than surfaced lumber since it requires less processing. But keep in mind finishing lumber can be very time consuming so buying lumber in the rough is not always ideal if completing a project in a timely manner is important.
Surfaced on 4 Sides (S4S) Lumber
- S4S lumber, on the other hand, has been processed to create a smooth, uniform surface on all four sides.
- The S4S process typically involves planing both faces of the rough lumber to achieve a consistent smooth surface on both faces of the lumber. The lumber is then ripped on both edges to remove the rough edges. Final joinery work may still be required for edge glueing and similar projects.
- S4S lumber is commonly used in applications where precise dimensions and a smooth finish are required, such as for furniture making, cabinetry, trim work, and other finish carpentry projects.
- The smooth surfaces of S4S lumber make it easier to work with and provide a clean, polished appearance in finished projects. S4S lumber can speed up a project because the lumber arrives in a finished state and requires less work on site.
- Keep in mind even with S4S lumber there will still need to be final trimming, sanding, sealing. etc. on the jobsite.
Surfacing results in a 10–15% loss of material. Therefore, please account for an extra 10–15% waste factor when ordering surfaced material.
|White oak varies in color from light tan to pale yellow-brown with a pinkish tinge. It is similar to European oak. Straight grained with characteristic silver grain in quarter sawn wood. Medium to coarse texture. White Oak is somewhat more figured than Red Oak due to longer rays.
Weight averages 45-47lbs cu. ft.
|Appalachian Oak, Arizona Oak, Stave Oak, Cucharillo, Encino
|Medium bending and crushing strength. Low stiffness makes it an excellent steam bending wood.
|Pre-boring is advised, but takes nails and screws well. Gluing properties vary. Stains well and polishes to a good finish.
|Heartwood is durable and very resistant to preservative treatment. Sapwood is moderately resistant. Logs are subject to severe insect attack.
|Dries slowly with tendency for checking, splitting and honeycombing. Requires careful air or kiln drying. Medium movement.
|Suitable for furniture, cabinetmaking, joinery, heavy construction, parquet and strip flooring, ladder rungs, plywood, veneers, paneling, railroad ties, shakes, shingles.
|Grain may need to be filled to achieve smooth finish.
Please call 1.877.232.3915, e-mail or message us online. We will call you to verify your order and to make payment arrangements. We also have several other trucking companies that work with us at a 72% discount which we pass onto you. Orders can be shipped direct to your home or jobsite. We can also hold orders at your local freight terminal for customer pickup. Small orders are shipped via UPS. We also ship to European and other foreign countries on container load basis. We ship anywhere in the world...please phone or email if you have shipping questions.
Check out our complete terms of sale for more info >
Advantage Seal Of Approval™
Every AdvantageLumber.com order shipped from our state-of-the-art lumber mills is of the up most quality. Our Seal of Approval is a symbol of quality and commitment to excellence. Each order is double checked for quality before the shipment can leave any of our facilities.
Our Seal Of Approval certifies that the product that is being shipped meets all of our quality standards. So you can order with confidence and know 100% that you will receive a quality product that far exceeds your expectations.