8/4 Poplar Lumber
8/4 Poplar Lumber
Rough Lumber vs S4S Lumber
Rough lumber and surfaced on 4 sides (S4S) lumber are two forms of wood commonly used in construction and woodworking. Here's an explanation of each and why they are used:
- Rough lumber refers to wood that has been cut directly from a log and typically has not undergone any additional processing beyond sawing.
- It retains its natural, rough texture and may have irregular edges, saw marks, and varying thicknesses.
- Rough lumber can be used in woodworking projects where the rustic appearance is desired or where the wood will be further shaped and refined by the woodworker.
- Because rough lumber is unfinished, it tends to be less expensive than surfaced lumber since it requires less processing. But keep in mind finishing lumber can be very time consuming so buying lumber in the rough is not always ideal if completing a project in a timely manner is important.
Surfaced on 4 Sides (S4S) Lumber
- S4S lumber, on the other hand, has been processed to create a smooth, uniform surface on all four sides.
- The S4S process typically involves planing both faces of the rough lumber to achieve a consistent smooth surface on both faces of the lumber. The lumber is then ripped on both edges to remove the rough edges. Final joinery work may still be required for edge glueing and similar projects.
- S4S lumber is commonly used in applications where precise dimensions and a smooth finish are required, such as for furniture making, cabinetry, trim work, and other finish carpentry projects.
- The smooth surfaces of S4S lumber make it easier to work with and provide a clean, polished appearance in finished projects. S4S lumber can speed up a project because the lumber arrives in a finished state and requires less work on site.
- Keep in mind even with S4S lumber there will still need to be final trimming, sanding, sealing. etc. on the jobsite.
Surfacing results in a 10–15% loss of material. Therefore, please account for an extra 10–15% waste factor when ordering surfaced material.
|Poplar heartwood is usually creamy-white to gray in color, sometimes pale brown or pinkish-brown. Grain is straight and can be woolly. Texture is fine and even.
Weight ranges from 23lbs to 33lbs per cu .ft.
|Robusta, Finnish Aspen, Swedish Aspen, French Aspen, Cucumber
|Very low stiffness and resistance to shock loads. Low bending strength and medium crush strength. Poor steam bending characteristics.
|Slight blunting effect on cutters. Very sharp, thin cutters are required to overcome the woolly texture and produce a good finish. Nailing and screwing are satisfactory. Takes stain poorly, usually produces blotchy results. Takes paint, varnish and polish satisfactorily.
|Poplar is perishable and susceptible to insect attack. Heartwood is moderately resistant to preservative treatment. Sapwood is permeable.
|Dries rapidly, but knots are inclined to split. Medium movement.
|Due to tough, woolly, non-splintering nature, it is suitable for rough usage such as the bottoms of wagons and carts. Also used in furniture framing, drawers, toys, flooring, boxes and crates, veneers and plywood.
|Several subspecies: P. Nigra, P. Canadensis, P. robusta, P. Tremula
Please call 1.877.232.3915, e-mail or message us online. We will call you to verify your order and to make payment arrangements. We also have several other trucking companies that work with us at a 72% discount which we pass onto you. Orders can be shipped direct to your home or jobsite. We can also hold orders at your local freight terminal for customer pickup. Small orders are shipped via UPS. We also ship to European and other foreign countries on container load basis. We ship anywhere in the world...please phone or email if you have shipping questions.
Check out our complete terms of sale for more info >
Advantage Seal Of Approval™
Every AdvantageLumber.com order shipped from our state-of-the-art lumber mills is of the up most quality. Our Seal of Approval is a symbol of quality and commitment to excellence. Each order is double checked for quality before the shipment can leave any of our facilities.
Our Seal Of Approval certifies that the product that is being shipped meets all of our quality standards. So you can order with confidence and know 100% that you will receive a quality product that far exceeds your expectations.