4/4 Sapele Lumber
4/4 Sapele Lumber
Rough Lumber vs S4S Lumber
Rough lumber and surfaced on 4 sides (S4S) lumber are two forms of wood commonly used in construction and woodworking. Here's an explanation of each and why they are used:
- Rough lumber refers to wood that has been cut directly from a log and typically has not undergone any additional processing beyond sawing.
- It retains its natural, rough texture and may have irregular edges, saw marks, and varying thicknesses.
- Rough lumber can be used in woodworking projects where the rustic appearance is desired or where the wood will be further shaped and refined by the woodworker.
- Because rough lumber is unfinished, it tends to be less expensive than surfaced lumber since it requires less processing. But keep in mind finishing lumber can be very time consuming so buying lumber in the rough is not always ideal if completing a project in a timely manner is important.
Surfaced on 4 Sides (S4S) Lumber
- S4S lumber, on the other hand, has been processed to create a smooth, uniform surface on all four sides.
- The S4S process typically involves planing both faces of the rough lumber to achieve a consistent smooth surface on both faces of the lumber. The lumber is then ripped on both edges to remove the rough edges. Final joinery work may still be required for edge glueing and similar projects.
- S4S lumber is commonly used in applications where precise dimensions and a smooth finish are required, such as for furniture making, cabinetry, trim work, and other finish carpentry projects.
- The smooth surfaces of S4S lumber make it easier to work with and provide a clean, polished appearance in finished projects. S4S lumber can speed up a project because the lumber arrives in a finished state and requires less work on site.
- Keep in mind even with S4S lumber there will still need to be final trimming, sanding, sealing. etc. on the jobsite.
Surfacing results in a 10–15% loss of material. Therefore, please account for an extra 10–15% waste factor when ordering surfaced material.
|Reddish brown in color. Overall a very uniformly colored wood. Very similar in appearance and workability to mahogany. The wood displays a beautiful chatoyance. The grain will shift as your perspective changes. Occasional quilted, curly and or mottled figure can be present. A significant up charge is typical for figured material. Material is often sorted for “ribbon stripe” which would consist of the quarter and rift sawn boards a moderate up charge for the “ribbon” material. Sapele is pleasantly fragrant when cut.
|Sapele, Sapelli, Sapeli
|It's highly recommended to be patient and work slow if machining Sapele because of its interlocked grain. Working with a beautiful wood like Sapele will yield amazing pieces, but it does have a blunting effect on blades and drill bits. Sapele finishes and glues very well but can become discolored and stained if it's in direct contact with iron.
|Sapele is a type of African Mahogany used for boats, fine furniture, and cabinetry.
|Color is similar to South American Mahogany (Sweitenia Mahogoni) and also to African Mahogany (Khaya Ivorensis). We have a great supply of Sapele lumber.
Please call 1.877.232.3915, e-mail or message us online. We will call you to verify your order and to make payment arrangements. We also have several other trucking companies that work with us at a 72% discount which we pass onto you. Orders can be shipped direct to your home or jobsite. We can also hold orders at your local freight terminal for customer pickup. Small orders are shipped via UPS. We also ship to European and other foreign countries on container load basis. We ship anywhere in the world...please phone or email if you have shipping questions.
Check out our complete terms of sale for more info >
Advantage Seal Of Approval™
Every AdvantageLumber.com order shipped from our state-of-the-art lumber mills is of the up most quality. Our Seal of Approval is a symbol of quality and commitment to excellence. Each order is double checked for quality before the shipment can leave any of our facilities.
Our Seal Of Approval certifies that the product that is being shipped meets all of our quality standards. So you can order with confidence and know 100% that you will receive a quality product that far exceeds your expectations.